Missing characters in post excerpt
Something strange is happening to the posts excerpts. When I write words that start with “del” they get deleted when the excerpt is shown. I tried different words like “delimitat”, “delict”, “delasat” etc, they all get printed out like this : “imitat”, “ict”, “asat”.
I have a custom post widget on first page with excerpt for the first post and I noticed this thing. I also activated excerpt shown in post page and they are written the same way. Inside the post content all is ok, if written there the words print correctly. Now I eliminated those words from the excerpts I noticed, but you probably can test this easily.
I dug a bit into the code but could not find anyting. I assume is something wrong when it strips out the html tags, since <del> is a tag also.
I am sure you could find this a lot easier and fix it. Thanks.
The blog I need help with is retetecugust.com.
I forgot to mention the excerpts all or custom ones, they are not generated from content.
That means what you’re saying is that whenever you enter a custom excerpt (not automatic excerpt) which starts with del, then that part won’t be displayed in the excerpt?
The excerpt does not have to start with del. All words within the excerpt, that start with “del” do not get displayed properly, the “del” is removed as I mentioned in the above examples.
Ok, but the question was if this only occurs for custom excerpts or for automatic excerpts as well? We’ve never had another user report such an issue before and we would need to analyze this accordingly.
Yes, it happens for automatic excerpts as well, I just tested.
We’ve tested this here now thoroughly and can’t replicate this issue, neither for custom excerpts nor for automatic excerpts. We’ve tested it with the word “delimitat” and it’s being displayed as expected without stripping the “del” part.
It’s very unlikely that this is a theme issue. As mentioned, it hasn’t been reported by other users in more than 4 years and the theme is running on thousands of websites. If this would be a theme issue, it very likely would have been reported before by other users.
You could do some general troubleshooting on your site in order to find the culprit (disable plugins, remove custom code, 3rd party scripts, etc…). It’s very likely an issue related to a plugin on your site or it’s caused by custom code, since you’ve already applied various customizations.
Ok. Thank you for checking this. I will try your suggestions.
I found the culprit :), it is Easy Social Share Buttons plugin. I write here just to be in the archive, maybe someone has this issue someday.
It is an option in the Advanced Settings to remove social networks written as text and it seems a social network named Del exists. It appears they overlooked that it was a part of a word and removed it anyway….
Thanks for letting us know and have a nice sunday. :-)
The topic ‘Missing characters in post excerpt’ is closed to new replies.