Hello, Love your theme. I really appreciated your start up guide. Here’s a few questions:
1. I set up my home page but it shows the “Home” title in both the upper tab and on the home page. How do I remove “Home” from the body of the home page so I can just have the title that I’d like to have introducing the reader to the website on the home page? I’d like to keep “Home” in the upper tab (because if I input the full title of the page onto the page set up, it will fill the whole upper tab section)?
2. I can’t get an image to scale to the background of the website as a whole. When I go into Appearance; then Customize: the background image I’d like to use looks like it is scaled perfectly. But when I go into the website generally- it is smaller and there is a blue background. How can I get the image to scale the full backdrop like it does in the customizer view?
3. How can I get my blog posts to present in a way that only the first paragraph is shown on the main blog page? i.e. I’d like to include a shortened version of each blog post with a “read more” so people can read the intro and then if they would like to read more, they can do so by clicking on the “read more” link.
Thanks so much-
The blog I need help with is youngmindsecowellnesscollective.com.
Actually two more questions:
4. Again on the customizer section- the upper tabs are all perfectly centered. But when I go into the website separately- they are all positioned to the left. How do I get them centered?
5. Finally- is it possible to have 3 separate blogs on this website? As I’d like to report on separate themes in each blog versus having them all in one blog stream.
Let’s review your questions:
1) It looks like you have your blog set as your homepage. Are you aware that every time a new post is published, the post showing at the top of your page will be replaced? This first post, will not always be the same if you’re trying to keep the title of this post as the top of the page. Otherwise, if you rename your page and add a Custom Menu Item linking to your front page, you’ll be able to have a different page title then the text which appears in the menu bar.
2) You will need to add a much larger image as your background so that it expands over the width of the website. In the demo, the image we’ve uploaded is 1800x1200px so you’ll want something in these dimensions. The alternative is to set it to repeat in the options available once the image is added.
3) You will need to add a ‘More Tag’ to your posts and it will create the excerpt and the Read More Link in your posts. You’ll find all the information on the ‘More Tag’ here: https://en.support.wordpress.com/more-tag/.
4) We’re working on getting this issue sorted, hopefully a fix will be out soon for this. In the meantime, it’s not possible to change these just yet.
5) You can only have one blog page with the theme, but you can use multiple category pages. Keep in mind that all posts will display in the one blog, but if you add various categories to your menu they will each display on the posts assigned to this category in the format you can see here: https://connectdemo.wordpress.com/category/travel/.
Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of these. :)
Thanks so much. This was very helpful. I’ve followed your guidance here and the site is getting there I think :). I look forward to learning how I can get the tabs centered when you sort that out.
One last question: how can I order the tabs (other than alphabetically)?
The release should automatically be applied to your site once it’s sorted with the update to center to menu items. In the meantime, the tabs can be re-ordered by a simply drag and drop in the order you want them to display from the Menu tab in the Customizer. Where you’ve added the items, just drag them in the order you want them to show.
Thank-you very much. O.k. I don’t think I understand the menu section very well. I went in there to follow your directions (from customizer view) and the menu looks completely different from the pages (in the WP admin section) and the main website tabs. It looks like a previous version of the website I had developed (with previous tabs I had deleted). I can’t see where I can delete the old menu items to start over (and I’m reluctant to as I don’t want to delete the pages/tabs).
Do you have a set of instructions for how to use the menu section and how that differs from pages on the WP admin site? – thanks again-
Try following the instructions here to create a custom menu: https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/. Let me know if you need any help after going through this. :)
ok thanks so much. Will return to this this weekend-
Sounds good! Let us know if we can help with anything, but keep in mind we may be delayed a bit over the weekend with it being Easter.
The topic ‘Getting started’ is closed to new replies.